Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Year in Review

I got out my journal this afternoon and looked back at the New Year's Resolutions that I so dutifully wrote at the end of last year. I am sad to admit that I am not much of a goal setter in the traditional sense of the word. It's not that I don't have goals and dreams for my life - I'm just not the best at writing them down and coming up with a plan to make them happen. But, having said that, I still try to write a few goals as I look to a new year. Most of the time, I end up writing so many that I am completely overwhelmed in a week and totally give up trying. Last year, in an attempt to avoid that, I only wrote down a few. Given my previous confession, I pretty much wrote them down and then forgot about them. Out of sheer curiosity, I got them out today just to see how I did on my lofty goals for 2010.

I had a total of 6 goals. Confession time:

1. Scripture Study daily. . . NO. . . I tried, but was less than successful. That seems to be one that carries from year to year. One of these years I am going to get it down. . . maybe this year!

2. Journal daily. . . Let's see. . . my last entry was on November 1. . . It's only been two months. That doesn't really qualify as daily, does it?!? I did write a couple of times on most months, with the exception of the last two. The holidays are busy. . . is that rationalization?

3. Buy a new camera. . . YES!! That was a fun one to accomplish.

4. Take a photography class. . . YES - two! I have learned a lot and had fun doing it. I still have a long way to go until I will be really satisfied with my work, but I think I have made some progress.

5. Send birthday cards to family members. . . NO. . . I started out on a good note, but fell off the bandwagon about halfway through the year. Why is that so hard for me? It really only takes a minute.

6. Organize one room every month. . . NOT REALLY. . . I feel like I am constantly cleaning. Organizing, that is another story. I am doing good if I can get things picked up. I do wish that I were more organized, though.

The Verdict. . . 33% accomplished. Wow - not so good! I would say that I have some work to do.

I have not yet sat down to plan out my list of goals for 2011. Perhaps this will be the year that I will accomplish what I set out to do. Any suggestions from all of you master goal setters? I think I may be in need of a tutorial.

2 comments:

  1. I think the fact you took two photography classes, should up your score, since you over did that one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jeanne! And I'm with you...I have a lot of goals, but I think I'm at about 15% so from my perspective you are AMAZING! You doubled my success rate! But I figure if one per year sticks, we may be pretty happy with ourselves before we die!

    ReplyDelete