Thursday, October 14, 2010

Close Calls

Today I had one of those close calls that really gets your blood rushing. I was on my way to the airport to pick up my parents who were coming to town for my daughter's baptism this weekend. I was inches away from getting into a REALLY bad accident. It could have been horrible. I was shaking afterwards, amazed that we had escaped unscathed. I knew that my guardian angels had been watching over me and my three kids who were in the car with me. It was one of those things that was scary in the moment, and terrifying afterwards when I had time to think about what could have happened.

Oh, the fragility of life!!! In an instant, my life, and that of my family could have been forever changed. Who knows what would have happened - it could have been really awful! My daughter's baptism could have been overshadowed by half of her family ending up in really bad shape after an accident. The what ifs are almost too awful to think about. But, I have thought about them - and I am simply thankful to be alive and well. I'm thankful that my kids are alright. I'm thankful that my life has been left untouched by tragedy. But, I don't know that I have been left entirely unchanged. I have been reminded, once again, and perhaps more personally, how I need to be thankful for my life - for every day - every moment. You never know when those moments might be gone forever. Tragedy strikes the unsuspecting everyday. Am I living in a way that would leave me in peace should the unforeseen happen without warning?

The answer to that question is a resounding NO! I cannot say that I have been doing the best that I can. Not that I need to be perfect, as I have made clear in the previous post. But, I need to be more aware of the beauty of life that comes in moments. I need to allow myself the freedom to rise above the mundane daily chores in order to "smell the roses" - to see the beauty that I would miss otherwise. I need to hold my kids and husband a little tighter and make sure that they know that I love them. I need to take advantage of opportunities that I often pass up because I'm too busy. There needs to be time for enjoyment -time for loving - time for truly living. Of course, I hope that my life continues to remain free from tragedy. But, if it should strike, I don't want to look back with regret for things left undone - unsaid. It came too close for comfort today, and I am more grateful for what I have - for the things in life that are truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment